Japanese Sweet Potatoes are one of my favorite foods on earth! They are so nutritious, filling, and delicious. Sweet potatoes are a great source of complex carbohydrates, meaning they are a good base-food for a meal. Eating low-carb is very popular in the world today but the low-carb diet is not possible forever.
The human body needs carbohydrates and sugars to stay alive! So consider swapping out the crappy carbohydrates like deep-fried foods and bread for Japanese Sweet Potatoes, and skip the low-carb diet all together! You will be feeling more energetic and satisfied if you do so!
So the question is, how do you cook the little devils!? The answer is simpler than you think!
- Set the oven to high broil.
- Line a pan with parchment paper or silicon mat (do not use wax paper).
- Wash your Japanese Sweet Potatoes
- Prick them all over with a fork or knife
- Place them on a pan and bake for 30 mins.
- After the 30 mins. is up, take the pan out and flip the potatoes to their other side.
- Put them back in the oven and bake/broil for another 25 mins.
- When time is up, stick them with a knife and make sure they are soft all the way through. If not, place back in the oven for another 5-10 mins.
- Serve and enjoy!
I honestly eat this type of potato plain! I cut them once long ways and once through the middle and eat them in four sections. They are a rich food so I like to take my time eating them, and not rush. The skin gets crispy and chewy and the center is marshmellow-y soft!
If eating it plain isn’t your jam, top them however you’d like. I would recommend salsa and guac or a hearty bean chili! They are also really good cubed and tossed onto a salad or added to a Buddha Bowl. There are endless way to eat these babies, you just have to find the right way for you!
*I recently heard that Japanese Sweet Potatoes were great for improving skin. They help improve elasticity, repair, and strength. This was an interesting piece of encouraging knowledge that I thought I would share!